Friday, May 27, 2011

Suffering and God's Will

What's the deal with suffering? How come there is so much in this world? Why are innocent people the victims of evil tragedies and accidents?

It wasn't until seminary school that I heard about the term theodicy. At first I thought they were talking about Homer's epic poem. It wasn't until I saw the word written on the chalkboard that I realized it was related to God.  (According to Wikipedia, theodicy "is a theological or philosophical study which attempts to justify God’s intrinsic nature of omni-benevolence, omniscience and omnipotence, despite the existence of evil which, in the view of some, would otherwise stand to refute one or more of these qualities or God's existence altogether")

Now I don't have enough time to get into explaining what I think about the topic. To be perfectly honest, I don't even think I could ever explain this clearly. But I was doing my study of 1 Peter 3:13-17 and all of these questions about suffering began to surface once again in my head. Here are the verses:

(NIV)
1Pet. 3:13  Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good?
1Pet. 3:14  But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. “Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened.”
1Pet. 3:15  But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,
1Pet. 3:16  keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
1Pet. 3:17  It is better, if it is God’s will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil.

Verse 17 really got me thinking, "How can God will people to suffer for good? How can that be better?" I look at my life thus far and realize I haven't been a major target of suffering. As a member of the middle-class in America, I haven't had too many struggles. When it comes to suffering for the sake of Christ and/or for doing good, I think the amount of times that has happened is also low. But I've realized more and more that the call to ministry will always be the cross I will the glorious cross I bear throughout my life.

One year has passed since I started youth ministry. I came into it fresh and inexperienced. I did not know exactly what God had in store for me. A year under my belt, I feel as if God has challenged me more throughout this time as a pastor than I have been challenged ever before. The testing and trials throughout this year has shown me that the path in ministry is not all rainbows and fluffy bunnies (although there are those times too), but a narrow path that creates in me a kneeling spirit.



There are numerous times throughout this year that I had to come to God for healing and encouragement. If a movie title would be made, then it would be called Faith Under Fire. Please pray for your pastors today. Sometimes it can be discouraging in ministry and there are many pastors who have abandoned the road because of its hardships. Pray that 1 Peter 1:7 will be true for your pastor!

"Such trials show the proven character of your faith, which is much more valuable than gold—gold that is tested by fire, even though it is passing away–and will bring praise and glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed" (1 Peter 1:7, NET). Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment