Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Don't Worry, Be Happy

When I began ministry, I got one of those small spiral books that stand by itself. They contained over a hundred different encouraging words when it comes to teaching. One of the encouraging notes said, "By learning you will teach... By teaching you will learn!"

That is so true when it comes to teaching and ministering God's Word. When there are issues that people come to me about that they are sincerely having trouble in their lives or some issue that needs to resolved through Biblical wisdom, it becomes an opportunity for me to learn once again with the person with the concern.

Late yesterday night, I saw a Facebook status from one of my youth group members that expressed a sense of worry and anxiety. This person was even getting stressed from the small things of life, which is normally what happens when we worry. So being the Youth Pastor, I shared the words of Jesus in Matthew 6:25-34. Everybody knows to turn to that passage when you are worried. Interestingly though, the professor began speaking about the passage in Matthew 11:28-30, "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and burden is light."

Then I understood that many times the source of our anxiety and worrying stem from a person who tries to bear their own burdens or their own problems. But, when we take the light yoke of Jesus, the gentle and humble master, we have true rest within our souls. Once again, I have learned by teaching. I pray that the rest that Jesus promises finds your soul today a midst all the troubles and stresses of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment